Friday, March 1, 2013

Does This Broccoli Make My Butt Look fat?

My Peak Condition Summer 2012



I know this has very little to do with “Growing up Flower Child” other than the fact that I was taught from a very young age, intentionally or unintentionally, about healthy eating and living in harmony with the earth. The two are inextricable to my way of thinking. Regardless, it’s this week’s inspiration.
The other day when I was out, I ran into an acquaintance. During the conversation she says “how much weight did you lose? Don’t lose any more!” However well intentioned she may have been, when I got to thinking about it, it’s just about as rude as asking “how much weight did you gain? Don’t gain any more!” when I thought even further about it, I have had this said to me on numerous occasions. Since when is being a healthy weight and reasonably fit a bad thing?  I earned my body, I have always thought of food as fuel, and feed myself using this belief.
What do I need to feel good? Lots of green food, fruit, healthy whole grain carbs, and protein, very little of it from red meat.  Most of the time I pass on things I know I really don’t need, such as fruit juice and fatty condiments such as sour cream.  Water is my main beverage and I drink a ton of it, and yes I enjoy my beer and wine, I live a “whole life” and don’t believe sacrificing everything for the sake of being “skinny” is the way to go. I don’t restrict what I eat; I don’t weigh my food, or use any special diet, just common sense. If I want a steak I eat one, if I want to eat cookies, I eat them, but not every day. One of my favorite things in the world? Maple bars. Eating them is a once or twice a year occurrence, but I may eat two in one sitting. I don’t feel remotely guilty about indulging when the time is right, because I know most of the time, I fuel my body with what it needs.
I exercise, I hate it, but I get up and do a little, 20-30 minutes 3-4 times a week, sometimes I have a bad week, and I feel it. I know I need to move, and I like to feel strong.  I hate being out of breath, hate pushing past where it gets difficult, none of those things float my boat. But I do like looking at a healthy body in the mirror, knowing that it is just as healthy inside as it is out. Yes I lost a few pounds about a year ago, due to taking up a very modest running hobby to manage stress, but it wasn't a lot, I was healthy before and I am healthy now. I am NOT "too skinny" My body is not perfect, there is room for improvement, but it does represent the care I give it, and I am proud of it. All of my hard work, means I get to wear a red bikini and high heels!

I don’t believe everyone should be the same shape and size, that is ridiculous. There are many shapes and sizes of healthy. It's a dirty rotten shame the pressure society puts on women and young girls especially, to fit into a narrow box, and link it directly to their value. Ideally, it would be nice if young people were taught to respect their bodies, take care of them and fuel them with nutritiously sound food, and moderate exercise. Also to respect different body types and accept every healthy body as a beautiful body. That is healthcare reform.
Lastly I would like to give fair warning to the next person that tells me “don’t lose any more weight” I may just tell them not to gain any more. Now I’m going to have a glass of wine and eat a piece of chocolate. 

2 comments:

  1. Well said! I've heard similar comments. Like "How did you loose all that weight?" (Duh...I eat at Mc Donalds every day and watch a lot of TV! lol) I can easily run 2 or 3 miles without breaking a sweat or even being out of breath. Only because of conditioning and diet. "proper fueling" Drugs and not starvation will not give you the same results. "You gotta earn it"

    ReplyDelete